Sa pangkalahatan, ang overtime work ay hindi mandatory dahil ang normal hours of work ng isang employee ay hindi dapat lumagpas ng 8 hours a day ayon sa Article 83 ng Labor Code. Ang pagsasagawa ng overtime work ay mayroong kaakibat na overtime pay o additional compensation equivalent to his regular wage plus at least 25%.
Bilang exception, ayon sa Book III, Rule I, Section 10 ng Omnibus Rules Implementing the Labor Code, ang employer ay maaari lamang pilitin na magsagawa ng compulsory overtime work ang kanyang mga employee sa mga sumusunod na pagkakataon:
SECTION 10. Compulsory overtime work. — In any of the following cases, an employer may require any of his employees to work beyond eight (8) hours a day, provided that the employee required to render overtime work is paid the additional compensation required by these regulations:
- When the country is at war or when any other national or local emergency has been declared by Congress or the Chief Executive;
- When overtime work is necessary to prevent loss of life or property, or in case of imminent danger to public safety due to actual or impending emergency in the locality caused by serious accident, fire, floods, typhoons, earthquake, epidemic or other disaster or calamities;
- When there is urgent work to be performed on machines, installations, or equipment, in order to avoid serious loss or damage to the employer or some other causes of similar nature; cda
- When the work is necessary to prevent loss or damage to perishable goods;
- When the completion or continuation of work started before the 8th hour is necessary to prevent serious obstruction or prejudice to the business or operations of the employer; or
- When overtime work is necessary to avail of favorable weather or environmental conditions where performance or quality of work is dependent thereon.
In cases not falling within any of these enumerated in this Section, no employee may be made to work beyond eight hours a day against his will.
Sa madaling salita, pwede lamang pilitin mag-overtime ang empleyado kung mayroon ang isa o higit pa sa mga nabanggit na scenario. Kung wala sa mga nabanggit, hindi pwedeng pilitin ang empleyado na mag-overtime work. Kung sakaling pipilitin man ang empleyado, kailangan siyang bayaran ng kaukulang overtime pay.
Para sa mas masusing gabay ukol dito, maaaring sumangguni sa DOLE hotline 1349, o tawagan ang angkop na DOLE Regional Office sa inyong lokasyon sa mga numerong makkita sa sumusunod na link: http://ble.dole.gov.ph/index.php/contactusmenu/115-dole-regional-offices.